What cookies could rival, or better yet, surpass Mrs. Field’s Chocolate Chip Cookies? I wasn’t looking for them, but they found me. In the Best of Food and Wine Recipes 2010 book. Read: cookie sandwich. Better known as Ganache-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, these cookies are superb. Two soft and moist cookies with walnuts, filled with a creamy chocolate ganache. Love it! Every time I eat one, these cookies make me wanna dance. I unconsciously hum out loud, attracting the attention of those nearby. But I don’t care!
As usual, I am including a link to the recipe, the recipe itself, and some pictures.
1. 1 cup walnuts
2. 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
5. 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
6. 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
7. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
8. 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
9. 1 large egg
10. 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1. 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2. 5 tablespoons heavy cream
3. 2 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
4. 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
1. MAKE THE COOKIES Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the nuts in a pie plate and toast for 8 minutes; let cool, then chop.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle (or using a handheld mixer), cream the butter with the sugars and vanilla at medium speed, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg. With the mixer at low speed, beat in the dry ingredients. Beat in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Spoon level tablespoons of the dough onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, until firm.
3. MAKE THE GANACHE Put the chocolate in a bowl. In a saucepan, bring the cream and corn syrup to a boil; pour over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the crème fraîche. Refrigerate the ganache, stirring occasionally, until thick and spreadable, 1 hour.
4. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until golden; let cool on the sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
5. Sandwich the chocolate-chip cookies with the ganache and serve.