My search for products that work well with my natural hair continues. Let me give you a brief history (and succinct review) of all the shampoo/conditioners that I have tried on my natural hair:
1. Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Shampoo and Conditioner (thumbs-down)
2. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Shampoo and Conditioner (thumbs-down)
3. Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk, Tui Herbal Shampoo, Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie (thumbs-down)
4. Taliah Waajid Black Earth Shampoo and Enhancing Herbal Conditioner (thumbs-up)
5. Jane Carter Moisture Nourishing Shampoo and Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner (thumbs-down)
Throughout my natural journey, I have been unable to find a product that I truly love. That is why when my best friend recommended this Shea Moisture product available at Target, I wanted to try it.
This shampoo did not have the dreaded SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate), which is described as a detergent. Here is the list of ingredients: Contains de-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter) (denotes certified organic ingredients), aloe vera leaf juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5, rosemary extract, sea kelp extract, vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.
I’ve been told that SLS is actually what makes your shampoo foam when you use it. Until I started doing research on natural hair care, I always equated suds with cleanliness. But your shampoo does not have to foam in order for it to do its job. If you don’t believe me….I suggest you do your own research. One of the things you will find is that shampoos without SLS tend to be more expensive than those that have it. Just compare Jane Carter’s Moisture Nourishing Shampoo (8 oz for $8.00) versus her Hydrating Invigorating Shampoo SLS-Free (8 oz for $10.00).
Personally, my hair loves shea butter. Shea butter based moisturizers are the only products that seem to really moisturize my hair. This weekend, I will be purchasing and trying this new product and posting a review.
To summarize, Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo has the following things going for it:
- It’s shea butter based (which my hair loves)
- It’s SLS free
- It’s available at Target and only costs $9.99 for 12 ounces.
- The ingredients are certified natural and organic.